School Entrance Tuition provides support for students who are required by some schools to sit school entrance exams for entry at Year 3, Year 7 and Year 9. We all want our children to achieve the very best and this includes choosing the best educational setting for them. Some settings will require prospective students to sit school entrance exams and Newman Tuition can provide school entrance tuition to support students prepare for such exams.
Preparation for school entrance exams is vital if you want your child to be successful in obtaining a place in their first choice of school. These exams are highly competitive and may be different from tests they have sat before.
Our tutors teach skills to encourage independent thinking. School entrance exams require critical thinking and problem solving so teaching the skills for independent thinking is very important. Luckily, this set of essential skills can be taught and developed. The skills your child learns now can be continuously developed and used throughout their educational career, right up to university and into the workplace.
Skills needed for School Entrance exams
Throughout our time and experience tutoring students we have identified three key skills every student needs to help them pass school entrance exams.
- A Positive Mindset – Having confidence and a positive mindset is very important in helping students learn and achieve, and is the absolute foundation of exam success. Our tutors create a fun learning environment and believe creating the right mindset helps learners tackle any subject. We focus on developing your child’s academic confidence, supporting them to explore topics and demonstrate their thinking.
- Regular Practice – another important component is simply practice. The more your child flexes their thinking muscles and engages their brain in learning, the easier it gets. We teach students the habits of regular, structured time to revise and recap new information. The art of learning is a skill in itself so we teach your child how to structure their learning and revision in ways that help them to process and retain their new knowledge.
- Developing Core Skills – School entrance exams include maths, English, verbal reasoning and non-verbal reasoning assessments so we focus on tutoring children in these core skills.
Our fully DBS-checked tutors are experienced in teaching students these skills. Our tutors offer personalised tutoring designed to meet the individual needs of each pupil and are excited to help your child learn and develop. All our tutors are committed to inspire, educate and improve a student’s confidence and self-esteem.
- 7+ Tutors
- 11+ Tutors
- 13+ Tutors
- Maths – mental maths, maths concepts, maths skills, maths problems, arithmetic
- English – creative writing: plan and structure a piece of writing.
- English – comprehension skills: deduction and inference.
- English – grammar and vocabulary.
- Verbal reasoning- solving problems related to words and text.
- Non-verbal reasoning-solve problems related to diagrams and pictures
- Exam preparation
- Interview practice
Good to know…School entrance exam tuition is about each student achieving their personal best and should be a positive and enjoyable experience for both the student and the teacher.